Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Self-soundtrack Part Deux

I asked, via email a couple of days ago: "I'm working on a blog post about "self-soundtracks", the music we hear running through our head all the time. What's your mental DJ playing for you this Sunday??"

Colleagues from across the country responded:

Marty (Milwaukee Symphony): "The past few days I keep singing the first few parts of Salome to myself, as we are playing it this week at work. What an amazing piece ! I sing it in falsetto, if that helps."

Paul (Richmond Symphony): "Beck F@*%ing With My Head"

Sam (Minnesota Orchestra): "At the moment, it's the klezmer movement from "The Dreams & Prayers of Isaac the Blind" by Golijov. But that's mainly because I'm performing it tonight, and can't play that movement to my satisfaction yet. I did wake up hearing "Southtown Girls" by The Hold Steady in my head, for some reason. Great song, tons of Mpls references..."

Vito (Fort Worth Symphony): "I try to have my head clear of any music as much as possible, because otherwise it's overload. If I run through something in my head it is something I'm working on so I can practice mentally."

David (conductor): "Well, the stuff running around in my head usually is the most recent thing I've been rehearsing or performing...today, it's bits and pieces of Jennifer Higdon's Concerto for Orchestra which I just did last night and which is running through my brain today like some weird aural shadow...of course, I just enjoyed hearing a choral evensong at St. Thomas Church in NYC and now a lovely bit of plainchant I heard is competing with the Higdon!"

Steve (Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra): "Stravinsky Danses Concertantes and the theme from Sanford & Son (Quincy Jones' 'The Streetbeater')"

Kirsten (Philadelphia Orchestra): "Dvorak Romantic Pieces."

Katherine (Baltimore Symphony): "La ci darem la mano from Don Giovanni. My husband keeps whistling it..."

Amir (conductor): "Lots of Brahms."

Bob (Minnesota Orchestra): "For some reason the music from Fellini's La Strada seems to be going through my head. I guess I should head to Italy and find out why."

Benjy (pianist): "Good question! Last I checked:
Beethoven 4th Piano Concerto and Op. 132 SQ
Radiohead Kid A
Beatles Sexy Sadie and Taxman
Random, isn't it?"

David (composer): "I've been having my own "Kaddish" in my head all weekend since it was performed Friday. Funny how that happens!"

What about you??

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home