Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

More construction

Progress has been made!!



As you can see, all the cement board is now up and the seams are sealed.

Musically, today, we switched to my iPod, which yielded, around hour 2:37 (during cement board measuring):

Day 2: Minoru Miki, Danses Concertantes I

Miki is the Japanese composer who has probably done most to seamlesly meld traditional instruments (such as the koto and shakuhachi) with a Western neo-classical idiom. One of his most notable works was commissioned by the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra in 1981, Kyu-no Kyoku - "Symphony for Two Worlds". It's a piece that I'm quite familiar with as I was present for all performances of the piece during its American premiere with the New York Philharmonic under Kurt Masur.

Actually, I was acting as coordinator and translator during a North American tour by Pro Musica Nipponia, a traditional instrument ensemble founded by Miki in 1964, and our first stop was NYC. Part of the Philharmonic gig included a couple of Young People's concerts, where I was onstage, ostensibly to translate for the Japanese musicians - they were doing instrument demos and I was translating to English for the young audience. A funny moment, though, during an orchestra demonstration for "Peter and the Wolf" - Masur insisted on talking during the demos, and his heavily-inflected English made the word "duck" (the oboe solo in "Peter") sound remarkably liked "dog", much to the confusion and consternation of both audience and orchestra. I eventually jumped in and ad libbed a little discussion of how the timbre of the oboe was similar to the nasal quack of a duck - the orchestra looked at me with relief, the kids got it, but Masur looked at me as if to say "But that's what I just said!".

Miki is less-known outside of Japan; when we think of Japanese composers certainly the first who comes to mind is Toru Takemitsu, both for his concert music and his movie and TV soundtracks. And I have another personal connection here; I was narrator for a world premiere of a Takemitsu piece, Family Tree (conducted by Leonard Slatkin, who years later has become a mentor). Unfortunately Takemitsu, a composer I've revered for years, was too ill to attend the premiere, and I never got to meet him. But certainly a memorable week, yet again onstage with the New York Philharmonic, in front of a microphone.

So, for those of you who have asked me how I got to be so comfortable chatting onstage during our Inside the Classics shows, now you know - I've been doing it for years!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Naun said...

Taking part in a Takemitsu world premiere is very cool.

I once saw Takemitsu being interviewed at a concert of his music. Because the interview was in English, he had an interpreter, a young Japanese woman. But it can't have been easy for her, because he kept breaking in to correct her translations! "No, not 'create', 'make'", he insisted at one point. "I don't create music, I make music".

June 19, 2008 at 5:42 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

"create" vs. "make", an interesting distinction. translating is a tough job, particularly with japanese, as you can't transliterate - you often have to listen to the whole sentence, flip all of the grammar around, and then try to get across the spirit of it.

June 21, 2008 at 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home