Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Monday, October 27, 2008

Making The Political Personal

Unlike, say, actors and rock stars, classical musicians aren't known for taking public stands on political issues. In fact, most of us try to avoid partisan subjects entirely when we're in public view. Part of the reason for this is that we're so dependent on the continued good will and fiscal support of the public, and while it's fair to say that a majority of musicians (like most people in the arts) lean to the left, our audiences tend to be all over the map, politically. Also, there's the obvious fact that classical musicians aren't really all that famous, so there's little reason to suspect that our speaking out on issues of the day would have any impact at all.

But this year, I've noticed a few instances of musicians making political noise. This week, the blogosphere is falling all over itself to report that among the dozens (hundreds?) of celebrities who have now produced videos and TV ads opposing a California ballot measure that would amend the state constitution to specifically prohibit same-sex marriage is none other than violin über-star Itzhak Perlman.



Normally, I don't know how I'd feel about this. Celebrity speeches rarely hold much interest for me, and I don't really understand why anyone thinks that Margaret Cho's opposition to a ballot issue is going to affect anyone's vote but Margaret Cho's. (Especially since the "No on Prop 8" campaign is already running some pretty clever ads that actually might swing a few votes.)

But what makes Perlman's ad powerful is that he isn't speaking as a celebrity - he's speaking as a father of five children, one of whom is openly gay and married to a same-sex partner. As a result, the ad comes off (to me, at least) as more personal and less preachy. What Perlman is saying sounds a lot like the things my parents say whenever issues like this come up in the national debate. (I've been out to my family since I was a teenager, and I'm constantly amused by the fact that my always supportive parents are often far more outraged by antigay rhetoric than I am.)

So what about it? Does it bother you when someone like Itzhak Perlman steps into the political arena for a cause he clearly has a personal stake in? Does it bother you that there is currently a banner adorning Orchestra Hall touting Minnesota's own proposed constitutional amendment which would dedicate new funding to the arts and the environment? If you've spotted any Minnesota Orchestra musicians sporting McCain or Obama stickers on our instrument cases after a concert recently (and there are some prominent examples of each,) were you surprised? Pleased? Offended? Let us know in the comments...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot STAND the political season and am always embarrassed by the celebrity speeches. But when it's personal like Mr.Perlman's, it's completely different and I think highly effective.

As for the orchestra's obvious active campaigning, I must say I was pretty surprised at it and am not yet sure what to think. It's in their best interest, so I guess why not? (I'm in personal turmoil on this one - I would support this as a law in a heartbeat, but I'm fundamentally opposed to a constitutional amendment, but on the other hand, I don't trust the legislaters we elect to do their JOB and look out for these kind of things, so maybe this is what it takes? I am very happy that at least they're letting the public decide. I'm leaning towards voting yes as it amounts to a small sum and it personally benefits me and my small children and I can have a say of where my tax money really goes for once, but I haven't heard a good argument either way to convince me otherwise. Anyone have a strong argument either way?)

As for an orchestra musician showing support of a candidate, I think that is awesome. I can understand how some might want to be careful because of the very good point Sam made about being heavily dependent on the public, but I mean really, why not?? That's kind of what America is all about, isn't it?

Especially if it's for Obama! ;);)

October 27, 2008 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Steve, you sum up my own feelings on the amendment perfectly. I've been struggling with this one as well.

Speaking of the amendment, I'd like to clarify a legal point just on the off chance anyone was wondering. Many people believe that non-profit organizations are legally prohibited from taking any position on political and ballot issues, which is actually not entirely true. Non-profits are not allowed to endorse specific candidates (lest their tax-free status be stripped,) but they are free to take positions and even lobby on behalf of causes and issues.

October 27, 2008 at 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home