Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Late September Brevia

I'm in the home stretch of my move - house was finally packed Tuesday night, movers arrived Wednesday morning just as I was leaving for Philly, and now I'm in Washington DC between a rehearsal and performance for a show with Ben Folds and the National Symphony Orchestra. I'm driving home after the show to a now-empty house in Richmond as my husband plays his final concerts as Principal Horn of the Richmond Symphony.

I other news: it seems like every year that there's an article like this about women in the conducting field. I've kind of stopped reading them because they always say the same thing; we've made inroads (cue JoAnn Falletta and Marin Alsop), but it's still hard out there for a chick, orchestras are conservative in nature and change moves at a glacial pace, etc etc. It always bugs me that the finger is pointed at orchestras as bastions of old-school conservatism; look at the fact that there are only thirteen female CEO's of this country's 500 largest publicly traded companies.

Speaking of Marin Alsop, the Baltimore Symphony opens their regular subscription season with my friends Time for Three. They are absolutely fantastic, and great guys, to boot.

And speaking of conductors, I leave you with a virtual tour of the posh backstage pad of New York Philharmonic music director Alan Gilbert.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maestro Hicks; I am wondering if there are going to be any sort of "Halloween tricks" or "Halloween treats" on the October 31 Ben Folds concert. I think it would be neat, but then again his music does kind of stand on its own.
Anonymous

September 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home