Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

After Hours: Wednesday Edition

So, our first concert is in the books, and from the stage, it looked like we had an excellent turnout! Thanks to everyone who attended, and if you missed it, we're doing it again Thursday night. (Tickets available here, or at the Orchestra Hall box office.)

As soon as I make it home after each of our shows this year, I'll be throwing up a post like this, designed to solicit your comments. (This may or may not garner much response initially - our tech people haven't told us yet whether anyone's actually discovered this blog...) Sarah and I spent a lot of time thinking, talking, and planning what we wanted to do with this series, and one thing we agreed on immediately was that we wanted to hear some backtalk from the audience, and not just assume that we know what's best for you.

So if you were with us Wednesday night at Orchestra Hall, click the comments link below and tell us what you liked, what you didn't like, or what you think we ought to do in the future. And again, thanks to everyone who showed up - we hope you'll be a repeat customer!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually attend subscription concerts and I love the Composer Institute, so Inside the Classics was new -- I was drawn to it because I love the Stravinsky. What fun! The first half was interesting, funny, entertaining, and educational, and Sam's commentary, with Sarah, made me feel like I was with a bunch of friends. It's great to see the musicians joining in the fun, too, although I'd guess that takes some persuasion. I enjoyed the dancers -- how beautiful! -- and the musical examples. I guess my only suggestion would be to include a little more about what is going on musically at the time -- it was great to hear the Glazunov as a preface, but what would Stravinsky have been hearing in the concert halls of the time? Did he attend a lot of concerts? Did he like ballet or was it just a job? Otherwise, I really enjoyed the evening and look forward to keeping up with the series with this blog. Thanks for all your hard work!

November 15, 2007 at 10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I throughly enjoyed the whole evening. You combined a lot of entertainment - comedy, dance, music and education - into one evening. Looking forward to the next one in January.

November 15, 2007 at 1:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We enjoyed it all, especially the dancers. And the comedic potential of a full orchestra dressed in black can't be dismissed :-)

November 15, 2007 at 5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you forgotten you are a symphony orchestra and not a comedy troup? Sam should stick to his violin and give up the sophmoric humor, anyone can make fun of the story line of folk tales or opera plots. I come to orchestra hall for music. Osmo does commentary on the music with skill and grace and without talking to the audience as if we were children. I would suggest some coaching from him.

November 15, 2007 at 6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a little apprehensive that this new series would struggle to replace Casual Classics. I was pleasantly surprised and overwhelmingly pleased with the outcome. Great job!

I really like the connections that you made with the orchestra and recognize the huge advantage of having leaders that are regular members of the orchestra.

I like the fact that the time was moved from 7:00 to 7:30.

I was a little confused if the theme was still intended to be casual, as some people appeared very intense. The great attraction for me is to enjoy the music, learn about its background, and have fun doing it.

The only thing that I missed and would encourage you to do more is to give us some history behind the music. I felt like you concentrated a little on the technical side.

I hope you will keep doing what you did so well. It was much appreciated.

November 15, 2007 at 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home