Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Addendum to Band Aids and Tourniquets

A majority of the musicians I know are involved with music education in one form or another. From a musician’s point of view, it’s only logical, as part of being an artist is ensuring the continuation of that art by passing on the knowledge and skill required to produce it. As Sam wrote in a recent post, arts organizations play a significant (if incomplete) role in providing at least a modicum of arts exposure and education through outreach programs - it doesn't make up for the lack of music and art in many school curricula, but it's something.

I can't agree more that the lack of arts curricula is a serious deficit in our educational system - there's no shortage of anecdotal and statistical evidence showing how arts education can influence discipline, organizational skills, self-expression, self-esteem, ability to work with others, etc. Further, it lays the groundwork for a lifelong appreciation of music and art, which indisputably enriches one’s life. Hard to argue with all of that.

So, the message so far is "Music education good!". Here's where I'll stir the pot; more arts education in the elementary level is absolutely necessary, but I wonder about the necessity of so many music schools at the college and graduate level.

Over several bottles of wine the other night, a group of friends, all professional musicians, all teachers at the college/graduate level, discussed the disproportionate number of students in performance degree programs. Conservatories and music schools are pumping out graduates at record levels at a time when expansion in the music field, particularly with orchestras, is slowing. It is difficult to make it as a performer - 200 potential candidates will apply for the average orchestral job opening, not great odds by any means. From a purely practical perspective, we don't need increasing numbers of performing musicians; it’s progressively difficult to find employment and it’s a ridiculously competitive and saturated field. From an institutional standpoint, what we need are well-educated music enthusiasts who have the knowledge, and therefore the ability, to enjoy (and support) all kinds of music – that should be provided to them via that disappearing arts curricula that both Sam and I are bemoaning.

Any thoughts out there in the ether as 2007 comes to a close?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys, long time reader, first time poster ;)

I couldn't agree with you more regarding this topic, but I thought I'd share my 2007 highlights:

1. Lisa Batiashvili, performing Shostakovich Violin Concerto No. 1. Riveting, stunning.

2. Sibelius - Symphony No. 2. Hearing Sibelius, Osmo, and this wonderful orchestra come together with this powerful piece was something to behold.

3. After the world premiere of a certain well known local conductor/composer, an older concert goer was letting everyone around her know exactly how she felt, saying "that's not music. I can't believe they let them play that." Not to be outdone, someone remarked back "I can't believe you'd wear that outfit in public, but you don't hear me complaining about it!" :)

With that, Happy New Year! You guys are the best, looking forward to many more concerts in '08.

January 1, 2008 at 7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you and everyone at the MN Orchestra!

I agree with your thoughts about music education and the over-abundance of performers. I was once a music student in college and remember vividly how highly competitive it was, and the odds for making it as a soloist, much less gaining a position in an orchestra. Two of the other music students I know remained in music -- one teaches at the college level, one has his own recording studio and composes. I did not continue in music (wasn't my language for creative expression--check out my blog at http://ccyager.wordpress.com) but I had a year's experience teaching piano. A part of me believes that any kind of music experience is good, but another part wants to strengthen and expand music/arts education in the schools -- to that end, I wish those who dream of glory, adulation and spectacular performances on stage as a soloist would channel their dreams into sharing their love of music and performance into teaching children of all ages. And lobbying parents and politicians for more financial support for arts curricula in the schools.

I'm a regular reader of this blog, although not a regular poster, and have been telling anyone who'd listen to visit you -- including a link on my own blog. Keep up the good work!

My 2 cents....Cinda Yager

January 3, 2008 at 10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too attended music school in college and it took all of two weeks before I realized it just might be a losing battle! I was more interested in the production side of things anyway and found out that was no less saturated, but was foruntate enough to be gainfully employed until I got burned out. But not a single person I know of who went to music school, and a very small number of people I went to technical school with are still in the business, so I think your idea is very well stated. :)

January 3, 2008 at 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home