Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Rise Up Singing

I've been thinking a lot lately about the power of singing, and of those who sing. Minnesota is home to an almost shocking number of amateur and professional choirs, and our orchestra never goes a season without performing with at least one or two of them. Audiences here simply go nuts for the sound of the human voice, and we can always be assured of an enthusiastic response whenever we program something that includes a couple hundred singers. (This goes double if there is a children's choir involved.)

That having been said, those of us who play instrumental music for a living have a bad habit of regarding vocalists as something less than ourselves. It's a prejudice borne mainly of stylistic differences, I suspect, as well as from the simple contrast between amateur musicians (of which most large choirs are made up) singing purely for the love of music, and professionals who rely on music for both artistic satisfaction and a steady paycheck. To those of us in the orchestra, chorus people often seem unnaturally enthusiastic about absolutely everything, as if they're perpetually on the edge of either laughing or crying hysterically. To them, I'm sure we seem perplexingly casual about and unaffected by the great music we're performing together. It's an uneasy relationship, at best, and I'm sometimes amazed that our performances of choral works don't reflect that unease.

Additionally, even professional singers, vocalists who can shake the foundations of the largest concert halls with their powerful human instruments, do not share much of the musical culture that instrumentalists are brought up in, and we've been mistrustful of each other since our conservatory days. Where we spent hours in school locked away in practice rooms slaving over details, the singers always seemed to be laying about in the lounge, sipping bottled water with lemon, wrapping scarves around their necks in 70-degree weather, and whispering to each other lest their delicate vocal cords be damaged by the act of conversing normally on top of their whopping 45 minutes of daily practice. They were the divas to our backup singers, the porcelain figurines to our homemade rag dolls, the - forgive me - Truman Capote to our J.D. Salinger.

Even Osmo, at the press conference at which he was introduced as our music director back in 2002, betrayed a bit of this musician bias when he was asked by a member of the media who also sings in the Minnesota Chorale whether he planned to expand the number of choral works we play every year. I remember vividly the slightly evil smile that played across his face as he first acknowledged the importance of maintaining the orchestra's commitment to great choral music, then added slyly, "However, I don't know whether we will do more choral music. To be honest, sometimes musicians can feel that working with singers is sometimes not worth the trouble." The whole room broke up laughing, except for the reporter/singer who had asked the question.

But as I say, I've had a number of recent experiences, both as a performer and an audience member, that have gotten me thinking more deeply about singers and singing. Rather than restrict the subject to a single post, I'm planning to spend this coming week blogging about each of them in turn, just to see whether my own biases and preconceived ideas change at all during the process. As my mother would remind anyone who cared to listen, I have a long and mostly undistinguished history with singing myself, so clearly, I could stand to reengage the form. We'll see what, if anything comes of it...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

As an instrumentalist who makes music with vocalists almost every time I play (and thoroughly enjoys it), I was amused by Osmo's quote "...to be honest, sometimes musicians can feel that working with singers is sometimes not worth the trouble." This pervasive semantic expression in the music world, which implies that only instrumentalists are "musicians" and vocalists are somehow not worthy of that title, has often been a running joke in the groups I have played with. Many of us would agree that vocalists are every inch the musicians that instrumentalists are, and yet we even hear choral directors address their pit orchestras as the "musicians", as though the group of vocalists standing before them are...something other than that. (I think it's extra funny when nobody else seems to notice the error.)

March 2, 2008 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger Bill in Dallas said...

Classical concerts featuring music for orchestra and chorus are likely to be the highlight of the season for me. I have friends who sing in the Dallas Symphony Chorus, and know a number of singers in the many choruses in the Washington DC area who regularly sing with orchestras. I can assure Osmo that some of the choristers feel that working with certain conductors is not really worth THEIR time and trouble, either.

If you have not heard the version of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture with a chorus, you have missed the best of that piece! Also, how can one think of the Brahms German Requiem as wasting ANYONE's time?

Bill in Dallas

March 2, 2008 at 3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam - thanks for tackling this subject! I spent several years singing and playing the violin! Today, I sing in the MN Chorale, and am always curious about the orchestra's thoughts and feelings toward us. Anytime we sing with you, we always feel privileged to join in the music-making. It's gratifying to us when the orchestra waves their bows or claps for us during a rehearsal or performance!

On the flip side, at a recent concert we sang with the orchestra, the EXTREMELY large chorus was lined up, waiting to rush on stage during the intermission. We were doing the best to hug the walls and stay out of the instrumentalists' way as they left the stage. Even so, one instrumentalist chastised us under his breath as he passed. "Great! They choose to line up HERE?"

I look forward to reading the rest of your postings this week!

March 2, 2008 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Bill- I have played the choral version of 1812, as it happens, and it is certainly a very different piece with the choir. I have to say I'm not the biggest fan of the choral version, but it's definitely worth hearing. And the Brahms, it should go without saying, is a masterpiece, and I know Osmo would agree. I'm sure he never meant to suggest that choral music wasn't worth the trouble. (He was clearly joking when he made the comment, in case I didn't make that clear.)

And speaking of things that may not have been clear, I should stress that we very much enjoy working with the choirs we work with here in Minneapolis, whether it's the chorale, the St. Olaf Choir, or the various boychoirs who sing with us. What fascinates me isn't the musical disconnect, but the personal gulf between singers and instrumentalists. We just seem to live in different worlds, and I'm reminded of it every time we work together.

Oh, and OprEowyn - I suspect I know exactly which musician was grumbling at you all. Pay him no mind. He's just crabby.

March 2, 2008 at 6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a singer, flautist and pianist who attended music school to obtain both Bachelors and Masters degrees, I've been on both sides of the divide between vocalists and instrumentalists (yes, there is a big one.) At school, I'd be locked in a practice room with a flute stuck to my lips or else chained to the piano. The singers, on the other hand, practiced an hour a day, at most (wow! as if that was all their delicate voices could handle. Maybe it's the belief that, as an instrument, the voice is much more injury-prone, so singers shouldn't damage or overtax it by practicing too much! Yet if a singer wants an opera career, they'd better have the vocal stamina to handle singing productions that are 2 hours in length (at least), while running around the stage, in full costume and makeup, under hot lights, and their voice must be big and powerful enough to carry to the last row of the hall. How is this supposed to be accomplished if they're admonished to only practice an hour a day, because their voice is as fragile as a spring flower? As a freelance soprano soloist and voice teacher, I've also sung in many amateur choirs to climb up that ladder so I can realize my dream of being a professional choral singer. Every time we do a performance with orchestra, the conductor would refer to the orchestra as "musicians" and us as "choir/chorus." The orchestra would applaud us, but it would be at a signal, verbally or otherwise, from the conductor, so I felt that the applause was a customary gesture, rather than an expression of shared enthusiasm between all parties involved. The soloists and orchestra were given lavish praise, and we were told to acknowledge how great they were by wholeheartedly applauding. Other choristers around me would lament how "I wish I could be like them, but I'm just a mere mortal." As the chorus, we felt like the lowest rung on the food chain because nobody was paying any attention to us, except to tell us to "bring a book to rehearsal because I'll be working mostly with the orchestra and soloists." We were admonished by the stage manager to be careful when entering and exiting because "those instruments are expensive" and heaven forbid if anything should happen to them! Once, we were sitting so close to the percussion section I could touch them, and as I made to stand up for an entrance, I accidentally brushed the edge of the snare drum. I got such a lecture, you'd think I'd committed a capital offense! Never mind the fact that I'm an instrumentalist myself. And don't get me started on unions! It's a crime if the orchestra goes a second past the end of rehearsal, but the chorus must cheerfully agree to stay as long as the conductor wishes! Orchestral players don't talk to, smile, nod, or engage choristers in conversation either, not that I've seen, and maybe this has something with the rift. Music is about creating a whole (a piece of music) that's greater than the sum of its parts (chorus, orchestra, soloists, etc.) But in order for this to happen, all the parts must be treated as equals. I see the choral/orchestral conflict as a psychological divide rather than a musical one, but it needs to be healed, because honestly, how can we be expected to communicate the appreciation of our art form to audiences if we can't even appreciate our own colleagues? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Contact me at fluteangel1977@gmail.com
Thanks! Angie

August 3, 2008 at 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home