Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Forest for the Trees

As a general rule, musicians tend to be suspicious of marketers, agents, and other PR types. It's not that we think we can do without their services, of course, but we're taught from the first time we pick up an instrument that the music we play is deeply meaningful stuff, and selling it to the public like its a case of beer or a football game seems somehow wrong to us. Throw in the fact that people who work in music and people who work in PR each tend to speak in a very specific insider language, and that they aren't the same languages, and the gap widens.

The best way of explaining it might be to say that musicians harbor a deep-seated fear that the people who market us would be happiest if we agreed to drop all the Mahler and Stravinsky and just play the 1812 Overture and an assortment of Beatles arrangements every week. And on the other side of the coin, the folks who dedicate their professional lives to making our performances seem like something the public should spend its money on are frequently exasperated and baffled by musicians' seeming disinterest in (or even outright opposition to) any effort to make what we do more accessible to the people buying the tickets.

All of which is to say, it's an uneasy partnership. Everyone's on the same side, really, but not always on the same page. And as a result, a lot of marketing techniques that the for-profit world of commerce takes for granted never really get tried when the product being pitched is an orchestra (or a theater or a museum, for that matter.) So I'm always on the lookout for the obvious sorts of ideas that those of us in my business frequently miss while we're too busy worrying about being taken seriously.

Here's one now - promoter/agent Amanda Ameer, blogging about just this sort of thing over at ArtsJournal, points out that retail marketing has become so sophisticated and subtle that just this week, she walked into a clothing store she had no need to go into, just because it was inviting (by design.) She then compares the techniques employed by the store to those employed by Carnegie Hall, just down the block, and concludes that Carnegie isn't even marketing in the same ballpark. Forget the stock posters that ring the building, says Ameer - why isn't there music playing from just inside wide-open doors, or a video display touting upcoming concerts? Why should the public take an interest in what you're selling if you don't seem terribly interested in offering it up?

This is the kind of thinking that led the Minnesota Orchestra a few years back to adorn the entire front and sides of Orchestra Hall with giant pictures of Osmo, the orchestra, and even a few audience members. At the time, it was supposed to be a one-year thing, just to get people talking and spruce up the look of our 30-plus-year-old facade. It worked - we got plenty of press coverage out of it (my favorite write-up was from local writer Christy DeSmith, then of The Rake, who described Osmo as sporting "a slightly dopey smile, as if he had just bumped his head,") and the "wrap," as we call it, leaves no doubt about what our building is, and what you'll find inside. There's no longer any thought of going back to the unwrapped look.

The music world is so wrapped up in itself (by necessity - doing what we do for a living requires a ridiculous level of single-minded devotion to purpose) that we frequently forget that the rest of the world doesn't spend a lot of time thinking about Beethoven symphonies and the new Grapes of Wrath opera. And when we do remember, we tend to look for ways to make the general public as obsessive about music as we are, rather than finding ways to draw in the casual listener, or even random people who have no idea that they might enjoy the concert hall experience. And that's a shame, because - as Ameer's blog post demonstrates - it's not that hard to make people want to walk in your front door.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm trying very hard not to be a blog-hound, but classical music Marketing is simply a topic that I'm far too interested in to pass up. I work in the Financial industry, but classical music is what keeps me a functioning human being, and I like to see my favorite organizations succeed and grow and be talked about. I have specifically spent many, many hours over the past few years thinking about how to market an orchestra. Since I'm a long-time fan and audience member, I naturally think in terms of the Minnesota Orchestra - but others as well.

The reason I think so often about this is partly due to the fact that I think the Marketing Department here (and I don't mean any disrespect to anyone, as I am about as loyal a listener as they come, and I know that everyone there works very hard) tends to tread a little too cautiously - and I don't think they need to. I really don't think Marketing here is different than anywhere else, but since I'm here I'm sure I notice it more.

To me it feels like some sort of tense uncertainty in some of the marketing areas...certainly in terms of programming and advertising. I'll throw out the "Schubert's Unfinished Symphony" program again. I would have marketed that completely different - as the Mahler 9 being an "event" instead of something completely ordinary. I always thought people liked to be in on something special. The day after one of the performances I did in fact overhear someone ask their companion "were you at the Mahler 9th last night?"...the person didn't say "were you at the Schubert Unfinished last night?".

In my opinion, Sommerfest really has suffered the biggest blows in terms of marketing. There's sufficient variety, but "Grieg's Piano Concerto" just doesn't get me salivating. Sommerfest used to be a real 'destination'...in fact one of the best summer series anywhere. Yes, I understand the pressure - I picture lots of very stressed out Marketing and Ticket Sales people leading up to some of these events, wondering if they will be able to make a respectable showing. And I also sense they are okay with the status-quo due to fear of falling off the cliff if a new or untried campaign falls flat. I respect the dilemma.

However, I'm of the belief that everything can sell. Go ahead, throw a couple of obscure pieces on the program with your Grieg Piano Concerto - it can sell. Make it an event and people will show up. I think Themed festivals are great - I dream of having an all-Czech summer festival...and maybe British the next year...put some people in costume outside...some new decorations out on the plaza...not a lot of money would have to be spent, but I think people would think it's really 'cool' and come on in.

The idea with the video screens outside is a nice idea. Many of my friends as well as several past concert companions have had no idea what even goes on in Orchestra Hall. Often they don't want to come to shows because they don't know what to expect. They don't know what kind of people attend these things - they feel uncomfortable because they feel outside of their comfort zone. Someone seeing the video screen could say to themselves: "look at those patrons enjoying the concert...they look just like me...I didn't know you didn't have to wear a tux...that looks pretty laid back", etc... I don't know that you would really be reaching very many people by having a video outside of Orchestra Hall, but it's the idea that counts.

By the way, I love the Orchestra Hall "wrap". It really spices up the hall. Orchestra Hall is a great auditorium - the sound is wonderful. There's nothing at all fancy about the building - but it is a very comfortable space. One can feel very much at home there and not intimidated in any way. And if the upgrades/modifications go ahead as planned, I'm sure it will be even more comfortable - and indeed should be something marketed.

Finally, Carnegie Hall does not market itself well at all. The variety of events there is quite mouth-watering, but I think they are poorly promoted...at least from what I have seen and heard. Most upsetting of all: the color scheme on their website www.carnegiehall.org Anyway, I apologize for my post.

July 8, 2008 at 10:44 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Dude. Longest. comment. ever.

But well said, and thanks for your input. As you noted, marketing is an awfully thankless job, and I know firsthand that our people work very, very hard at it, and get very little credit for what they get right. And I know that they share your optimism about the potential for video as a selling point and social equalizer.

But I'd be lying if I said that the Schubert Unfinished/Mahler 9 incident you mentioned hadn't also raised a lot of eyebrows within the orchestra...

July 8, 2008 at 11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home