Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Friday, September 12, 2008

New traditions

Well, we're back to work again, and I just had my first rehearsal of the season, a lot of music to get through for a Season Sampler Concert tomorrow. Coming offstage after quite a workout, I thought of an article I read a couple of days ago about the liquid reward waiting backstage for some conductors (see paragraph 3). Perhaps a fantastic new tradition to put in place for the Minnesota Orchestra?

...which also led my thoughts back to a concert I did with the National Symphony Orchestra back in 2002 as part of their National Conductors' Institute. It was my first concert with a major American orchestra and it really was a thrilling experience on many levels. But the image that really stays with me from that night is walking off after a successful Don Juan, unexpectedly greeted by a towel and a Fitz's root beer from the smiling stage manager. (Fitz's was the preferred post-concert quaff of then-Music Director Leonard Slatkin, who also headed the Institute.) Nothing like drinking what the boss drinks to feel like you've (almost) arrived...

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

My absolute favorite European city to perform in with the orchestra is Cologne, Germany, not least because, at the end of the concert, the performers are met as we come through the backstage door by waiters bearing trays of glasses filled with Koelsch, the local beer. Seriously - you have a beer in your hand even before you put your instrument down. And you can have another if you want, too, all courtesy of the Philharmonie. The Germans know how to treat an orchestra...

September 12, 2008 at 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would be your preferred "liquid reward," Sarah? Beer or wine?

September 13, 2008 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Well, a glass of Veuve Clicquot would be ideal. I think there's an attraction in something fizzy and cold when you come off stage, as I'm usually a little hot and sweaty at that point!

September 14, 2008 at 12:50 AM  
Blogger jbw said...

Sarah,missed the bow in your hair at the Sampler Concert on 9/13.My wife and I have both enjoyed your work at several concerts.

September 15, 2008 at 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home