Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Still on the road

I'm finishing up my time in Vermont, where I've been premiering a Double Concerto by David Ludwig with the Vermont Symphony and Jaime Laredo and Sharon Robinson. Which has been very cool on many different levels - first of all, because David and I have been the best of friends for over a decade, and it's fun to collaborate with a colleague you are so close to (and he writes absolutely wonderful music!), and second of all because I grew up on recordings of the famed Kalichstein-Laredo Robinson Trio, and it's amazing to be at a point in my career where I'm collaborating with artists that I admired as a youngster!

We just played a matinee in Rutland, where we'll also be spending 6 hours tomorrow recording the Double Concerto. As we're an hour and a half out of Burlington, the Vermont Symphony's home, we're all ensconced in the local Holiday Inn - soloists, composer, conductor, recording engineers (who just arrived from New York), as well as the entire orchestra. Which has lent the hotel halls the atmosphere of, say, a Youth Orchestra tour, in the best sense. Musician are excitedly visiting back and forth - I saw a case of beer being lugged up the stairway, bags of wine and snacks purchased at the Hannaford down the street. At this point in my career, hotel living has lost its luster (I often wake up in the middle of the night having no idea what city I'm in until I rouse myself to look at the the Hotel Services booklet to see where I am), but put an orchestra in a hotel and they'll find a way to have fun. It's nice to see that kind of enthusiasm, particularly when you're a little travel-weary - I'm just looking forward to being somewhere (anywhere!) for more that 5 days at a time (which I might have around February 15)!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, I get weary just reading your comments! :) You must have boundless energy. Alas, I'm but a homebound writer. But thank goodness a paid one. I've a great love of music but can't perform it. If it weren't for music, I'd die. I've transferred much of my beloved music to audio cassettes and love that bulletproof format, compared to frail CDs and DVDs which won't play because of a tiny scratch. Just a few titles of my beloved symphonic music include Randall Thompson's 2nd, Diamond's 4th by Bernstein, and The Nutcracker. The latter is especially good for writing. And we've made a movie for cable called "Beethoven's Tenth."

August 2, 2009 at 6:45 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

how refreshing to hear that people listen to american symphonic music! i love diamond, particularly the second, as well as hanson and piston. music brings joy to life for all of us, keep listening!

August 2, 2009 at 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home