Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Friday, May 29, 2009

Encouraging Dissent

Washington Post music critic Anne Midgette has an interesting post up on her blog this week about an odd sort of groupthink that frequently seems to permeate the classical music world:

"Why do we all have to like the same composers? I’m sure that we could find movies or books that we disagree about without it seeming quite so heretical. (Actually, my husband doesn’t care for Bruckner, and I love Bruckner, and we manage to continue a happy marriage regardless.) Anyway, I think we need to embrace these disagreements, because they help get classical music off its film-star pedestal and into an arena where we can interact with it, have opinions about it, dare not to like it."

I like the comparison to other art forms, because whereas critics who write about movies, books, and theater spar continuously over the quality (or lack of quality) of what they're reviewing, many classical music critics seem to feel constrained only to review the performance of a piece of music, and rarely discuss the merits of the work itself. And given how passionately many classical fans feel about their favorite composers, I'd probably do the same in their shoes. It's really not worth the trouble you're going to stir up by saying in print that, just for instance, Bruckner's symphonies are overrated, long-winded, and boring.

Midgette has another theory about why critics should be more open about their likes and dislikes, though:

We talk a lot about how to reach new younger audiences: well, they’re not fooled by didactic lectures and hollow praise. I have a host of anecdotes about times I felt I reached someone who was new to classical music by giving them permission not to like it.

Now, this rings very true to me, and I've got an anecdote of my own. A few years back, we were playing the world premiere of a newly commissioned work, and from the opening moments of the first rehearsal, we knew that we were in for a very tough slog through some incredibly dense, modernist stuff that our audiences were just going to hate. It's never fun trying to get through music like that, because we can see the audience visibly hating it, willing it to be over, and nobody wins in that situation. You can always hope that the audience will be so incensed that they'll do something dramatic like refuse to applaud, or even boo the composer, but most American audiences are far too polite to ever consider such acting out.

Now sometimes, when we're playing a new piece, we'll invite the composer to say a few words about it before we play it, which can sometimes have the effect of making the audience more open to what they're about to hear. But in this case, the composer of what I'll call the Noise Concerto wasn't actually going to be at the concerts, so Osmo decided to speak to the audience instead. I couldn't imagine what he was planning to say about a piece that basically everyone agreed was unlistenable. Here's what he said (to the best of my memory - this was several years ago, and I don't have it on tape):

"When I first received the score for this piece by [Composer X], I thought to myself, 'Oh, no.'"

At this, there was a slight gasp and some nervous laughter from the audience. Osmo went on, "It seemed so dark, and so difficult, and with so much happening all over the orchestra, and I didn't know whether anyone would be able to listen to it. But now, as we've been rehearsing and playing it all week, and we have begun to understand some of the composer's ideas, now I think... well, now I think still "Oh, no" in many places."

The audience erupted in laughter. Osmo wasn't done: "But," he said quickly," what does Vänskä know? I am hearing the piece for the first time just as you are, just as we all are, and when we play it, you will have your own conclusions, and those are what matter."

It was a masterful way to introduce the piece. There was no question, once we'd finished the premiere, that the vast majority of those in attendance fell into the "Oh, no" camp, but the amazing thing was that it was clear from the looks on people's faces as we played that, by giving them permission to hate the piece, we had made them more open to giving it a chance. At some of the work's loudest, most headache-inducing moments, I even saw a few people smirking or chuckling, as if to say, "Wow. This must be one of the 'Oh, no' places."

The lesson, I think, is that people who know they're allowed to have their own opinions on what we're doing on stage are far more likely to engage, and to view concerts as something they participate in, rather than as something static that is set in front of them. Midgette sums it up nicely:

"We don’t need boosterism: we need to regain a sense that this field matters, and that there are reasons for everyone to care about it, beyond a dutiful sense of “it is great and we should.” That's the basis of a love of music, an amateurism, that sustains, rather than distant appreciation of isolated, glamorous performances."

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger AllThingsSpring said...

I was at the show you mention, and while I found Vänskä's honesty regarding his evaluation of the piece refreshing, I was also a little bit worried that it came off as undercutting the soloists of the concerto. I would think, even for these seasoned orchestra musicians, that getting up front and center for a concerto is more nerve-wracking than just regular week to week playing. Having your boss essentially undercut the performance you are about to give seems a little harsh, even if his comments were directed at the composition itself and not your playing.

May 29, 2009 at 6:59 PM  
Anonymous Kate Holzemer said...

This is a really interesting point, and one that I had never thought about in these terms.

As a musician (I play in the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra) I can honestly say that I adore negative reactions from audience members. It's not that I want people to be unhappy with our programming or performances (definitely not), it's just that it's so rare to hear someone say, "I hated that concert/piece/performance," that when it happens, it's extremely charming.

Some of the most interesting and illuminating post-concert conversations I've ever had were with people who had to be coaxed into admitting their true feelings. I think people are very wary of sounding dumb when they talk about music, and so they frequently discount their own opinion and assume that they just don't understand a piece when in reality, they just don't like it.

I've never really thought of this as something that musicians and conductors can cultivate in an audience.

May 29, 2009 at 9:37 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I should mention that I don't mean my anecdote to sound as if I believe that anybody can just walk out on stage and tell an audience that they're free to hate the next piece and have everyone find it charming. At the time this happened, our home audience was already quite comfortable with Osmo as the music director, and a pretty good level of trust concerning the music he programs had been established with the regulars. So coming from him (a person much of the house already knew they trusted,) it worked...

May 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about "permission to hate." It's one thing for audiences to reject canonically established works that they have simply decided they don't care for. There are people who hate Brahms. I don't understand them, but I'm pretty sure they've heard enough Brahms to know they don't like it. But newer works and rarely performed works don't always (or even often) reveal their charms on an initial hearing, and the longer and more complex they are, the harder it is to judge. I have heard many commissioned/contemporary pieces that were immediately accessible and likable, and many that weren't. In both cases, I wish there was an easy way for me to hear the piece again so I could try to unravel a few more of its mysteries.

June 1, 2009 at 5:01 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I wish there was an easy way for me to hear the piece again so I could try to unravel a few more of its mysteries.
From your mouth to the ears of orchestras and the American Federation of Musicians, Anonymous...

June 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home