Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Best Medicine

When you spend your professional life immersed in some of the most complex music ever written day in and day out, the way orchestra players do, it can sometimes be hard to remember the simple power that music has to make us smile, or laugh, or just feel good about the world.

And then, someone sends you a link to a video of a piano-playing couple, married 62 years, giving an impromptu recital in the atrium of the Mayo Clinic.

Go ahead. Try to watch it without smiling. I dare you.



Thanks, Fran and Marlo. I really needed that today...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Chrissy said...

That is just AWESOME! I hope I remember how to play guitar when I'm your age. Thanks for the smile!

June 4, 2009 at 9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anita said...

Brightened my day too!! Thanks.

June 4, 2009 at 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was training as a pediatrician in philly, I had a 17 year-old patient who was dying of metastatic cancer. She was getting a last ditch radioactive therapy for her cancer which literally made her whole body radioactive, so nobody could go into her room, and the whole room was draped with plastic, and she had to be there a long, long time. She had previously been a violinist, and loved it, and told me she was dying to hear some violin music. So, I practiced up, and brought in my fiddle and whipped of a pretty mediocre Bach Partita.
At the very least she pretended she loved it... and for me, one of those life altering moments. The question is... who was healed by whom?
Love the blog, Sam! (Brian A...)

PS - at least I'm pretty sure my violin at this point is not radioactive...

June 4, 2009 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

What a great story, Brian! Thanks for sharing...

June 5, 2009 at 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home