Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Notes and neurons

Early this year I posted about a Bobby McFerrin concert at Orchestra Hall - in the last few paragraphs, I was marveling at the fact that McFerrin got the audience to sing along on a pentatonic scale without a word of explanation or even teaching all the notes in the scale. Which turns out to be a conscious tactic on his part, as we see below:

World Science Festival 2009: Bobby McFerrin Demonstrates the Power of the Pentatonic Scale from World Science Festival on Vimeo.



Again, I marvel; understanding of the organization of pitches in the pentatonic scale seems instinctive. McFerrin provides the context of the scale through his "descant" above the audience. The audience understands the tonal context both unconsciously and automatically. Another clear-cut example of how our brains are hard-wired for music.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am convinced that Bobby McFerrin is a genius! He is SO creative.....and always involves his audience in the creative process. I saw him live one time when he did his Bach-Gounod Ave Maria bit: we sang the "Ave Maria" part and he did all the harpsichord arpeggios with his voice. I can't tell you how exciting it was!

Bill in Dallas

August 3, 2009 at 7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah, thank you for this post. I am fascinated by the pentatonic scale-- how it behaves so naturally and sounds like "home." Love Bobby McFerrin! I appreciate what you and Sam share with us. I live in North Carolina and look forward to seeing you next season!

I watched a video on YouTube of what Bill in Dallas is describing. I was brought to tears. How exciting to have been there.

Shelley

August 3, 2009 at 8:26 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Bill and Shelley:

McFerrin does a "Blackbird" that's absolutely magical, particularly the end. I always tell people, if you have the opportunity to go hear him live, you MUST GO!

August 3, 2009 at 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home