Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Sick Daze

I should be backstage at Orchestra Hall right now, warming up for the concert that begins in 24 minutes. I was there this morning for the last rehearsal of the week, and even stuck around afterward for a chamber music rehearsal. Now, I'm slumped on my couch, sipping jasmine tea, watching a hockey game and feeling alternately cold, shaky, and generally lame. The thermometer says the fever that set in a few hours back is fairly mild, and when I called our personnel manager to let her know that I'd be staying away tonight, I also guaranteed that I'd be back tomorrow. With any luck, I'll be right.

I hate - hate - calling in sick to work. I hate it more than I hate actually being sick, which I also hate. In fact, when whatever this is that's currently attacking me (and you may keep your swine flu jokes to yourself, thank you very much!) was gathering steam last week, I went to work on a couple of days that I probably shouldn't have, just because I couldn't stomach the idea of wussing out and staying home. Part of it is that my job really is the most important thing in my life, and missing a day when my hands and arms still technically work makes me feel like I'm not pulling my weight.

Another part is that there are some people in my orchestra with real and serious medical issues that make my little cold seem like a hangnail. In particular, one of our violists suffers from an incredibly painful joint disease that sometimes leaves him doubled over with his eyes screwed shut or flat on his back in the locker room - and even on his bad days, which are frequent, he makes a superhuman effort to show up and at least try to get through the day. With colleagues like that around, the idea of missing a service for any reason just makes me feel, well, lame.

Of course, the flip side of that coin is that, unlike most people, I work literally shoulder to shoulder with my officemates, and no one likes the idiot who straggles into work on death's door only to pass his Martian Death Flu on to everyone else in the building. You think bugs spread quickly in your kid's elementary school? You should see how fast a virus can sweep through an orchestra. Not only are we breathing down each others' necks in a figurative sense, we're doing it literally as well. Everyone in an orchestra is more or less constantly breathing hard, spitting, sweating, and generally being at least vaguely unsanitary in the act of playing our instruments. So if I had shown up for tonight's concert, I'm guessing I would not have been a popular guy.

So it's tea and hockey for me, and a very early bedtime as well, in the hope that I'll be good as new tomorrow morning. Which is sort of important, because I've got four Kinder Konzerts to play starting at 9:30am on Friday, and because I'm the only violist in the group, and the only one who's rehearsed the repertoire, there's no one I can call to sit in for me. And yes, I promise to stay far, far, away from all of the kids...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just reading this as I (cellist) am home with fever and feeling bad about not being able to do my college teaching and Brahms 2 rehearsal. But it's not worth wiping out the orchestra...

October 9, 2009 at 9:26 AM  
Blogger Nicki said...

I'm a Kinder Konzert guide and thought today's first session went quite well. I do admire the way all of the musicians keep it fresh for the kids during the four performances in a long morning.

I'm glad you're better and stay well, Sam.

October 9, 2009 at 2:51 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Thanks, Nicki - these were our first shows of a very long KK season, and though I'm far from better (a healthy dose of ibuprofen held my fever down long enough to get through the morning,) I thought the shows went well, and the kids were great as always. Thanks for all the work you WAMSO volunteers do!

October 9, 2009 at 6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Sam! I hear you about hating to call in sick. But at least you understand that you're actually protecting your colleagues when you do. Take care of yourself! I hope the Martian Death Flu responds to your treatment and you'll be "right as rain," as my nanna used to say, for the Shostakovich 5 next week.

October 10, 2009 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger MacroV said...

I have often marveled in my years of concertgoing how rarely I see orchestra musicians fail to show up due to illness. When I lived in Seattle I don't recall even one instance when a principal player missed a show due to illness (with no assistant principals, they would be very conspicuous by their absence).

October 17, 2009 at 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home