Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Art of Self-Destruction

Okay, so there's this dancer/performance artist in the UK who is planning to purposefully induce in herself an epilectic seizure in front of a paying audience. Not only that, the Arts Council of England has apparently endorsed this seemingly insane bit of art to the tune of £14,000. (If you happen to have been looking for a good shock-and-awe way of describing to a friend the difference between federal arts funding in Europe and America, you're welcome.)

Now, I don't know a whole lot about epilepsy beyond the fact that, back in seventh grade, my friend Joe Holland got hauled off to the principal's office, for bonking me over the head with a Life Sciences textbook, by a teacher who was claiming loudly that he'd probably just given me said condition. But I do have the general impression that it is one of those things that, once you Have It, you pretty much need to Medicate It. Forever. So this particular bit of performance art would seem to be ill-advised, no matter how many write-ups it gets you in advance of said performance.

Still, there are a lot of performers out there willing to put themselves at some degree of risk for the sake of art, or fame, or whatever. I can't say as I've personally ever been a part of such a show - I did once play a piece of music in which the composer strongly suggested that the conductor have a heart attack and die during the performance, though I'm fairly certain he was kidding - but I know that they're out there.

So my question to you is, what's the nuttiest/bravest/most self-destructive thing you've ever seen an artist, musician, or other performer do in the name of entertaining you? If anyone can top Epilepsy Girl, I'll be mightily impressed...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not going to try to up the induced siezure bit, but I did do one _zany_ thing I did in college one day. I woke up, blindfolded myself, and spent the entire day* blindfolded. Walked to classes, ate meals, visited with classmates in this way. It was an interesting experience, the worst was when a "friend" put ketchup in my pop or something at supper. I rarely get so mad, as to yell, but that was one time I did, right in the cafeteria, not caring who was staring (I could see them anyway!). The experience put my friends in a different light.

*Ok, there was one exception. Mr. Pesola, the Concordia College band director, wouldn't let me have it on during rehearsal, so there was an hour I had it off.

November 19, 2009 at 9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home