Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

After Hours: Wednesday Edition

If you were with us at Orchestra Hall on Wednesday evening, here's your chance to tell us what you thought of the concert. We covered an awful lot of ground in the first half of the program, and also created a mashed-up, multi-composer performance for the second half, so tell us whether those elements worked for you, or just seemed overwhelming. (We're also always anxious for feedback on things like the lighting changes that we used to highlight the changing of seasons on the second half...)

If you're interested in reading and hearing more about all the music we featured in the concert, check out our extensive Cutting Room Floor post, which has everything we didn't have time to get into from the stage, including a brilliant performance of Piazzolla, and a video interview with composer Angel Lam.

As always, thanks so much for your continued support of this series. We set an all-time attendance record for the Casual Classics/Inside the Classics franchise this season, and exceeded every goal we set, thanks to all of you in the audience. We're making the big jump to weekends next season, reprising one of our most popular early ItC programs in November, and then featuring some of the greatest repertoire ever written for a symphony orchestra beginning in January 2011. So come on back, and we'll see you next fall!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife and I greatly enjoyed tonight's performance, 3/10. It was fascinating to hear Sarah describe the relationship between the conductor and the solo violinist and how they had different interpretations of a piece of music that they worked out by arriving at a third interpretation.

A suggestion: play the three interpretations! It would provide a great insight the conductor's role and influence. Thanks for a great series.

March 10, 2010 at 10:25 PM  
Anonymous Nic said...

We both had a blast at tonight's performance. The suggestion of the three interpretations is a great one. I felt tonight could have been a night that took advantage of the video screen because it would have been cool to see in the piano. Definitely looking forward to the Copeland!

March 10, 2010 at 10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love these "Inside the Classics" performances! Every concert is such a great mix of learning and musical experiences. We're definitely planning on the series next season. I really enjoyed the video on screen from above the stage during the January concert. It's wonderful to see the musicians up close and watch the details of a performance. I'd love to see more of that. Thanks so much for a great season.

March 10, 2010 at 11:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I understand that playing classics over and over the same way may be boring for the professionals, however I came to hear Vivaldi, not a joke on it. I have the tickets for May 9 and I am not going. I was even surprised to hear people applauding. I love the "Inside..." performances, however, on this one. And where did you find this Raskatov? Sorry, but I have to say, that I feel very upset after tonight. It was a torture. It was not Vivaldi and it was not Tchaikovsky. I came home and put in a CD with a real Four Seasons just to calm myself down. Thanks for great technique though, how you play was better than what.

Regarding the first part - a bit too long, at my take. It may be more interesting to talk more about music itself, rather than misuse of instruments.

March 11, 2010 at 1:08 AM  
Anonymous Jim said...

I was absolutely blown away by the Astor Piazzolla selections!! Whether it was the composition or Jonathan's violin, the Piazzolla stuff was fabulous. I had never heard of him, but the first thing I did this morning was go to Amazon and find some CDs.

For many years now, we have been subscribers to Inside the Classics, and to a 6-concert Classical seies. Last night was exceptional. Thank you for a great evening of music.

March 11, 2010 at 10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm adding to my comments of last night (2nd Anon);
I, also, was introduced to new composers last night and found new music to love. I ordered CDs last night featuring both Raskatov and Piazzolla. Thank you again.

March 11, 2010 at 3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd hope you don't take Alexander's comments too seriously. That kind of attitude is what is killing classical music. The whole series is a rebuttal to the narrow-minded, hidebound approach that some traditional classics fans embrace. Keep up the great work.

March 12, 2010 at 9:53 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

Alexander is absolutely entitled to his opinion, and we do ask for all feedback, positive or negative, so we definitely don't take offense when someone objects to one of our shows. I've said often that this series of concerts isn't for everyone, and for those of a more traditionalist mindset, I highly recommend the 150 or so concerts the Minnesota Orchestra gives every season during which I don't say a word.

March 12, 2010 at 11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home