Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Friday, March 7, 2008

Brendel thoughts #2

My second installment of reflections on the Orchestra's week with Alfred Brendel focuses on the relationship between a player and their instrument. Most orchestral musicians (except perhaps for percussionists) own their instruments, as do solo artists (although I suppose you could argue that those who play expensive string instruments provided for their use by wealthy philanthropists, consortiums and various organizations don't actually "own" their instruments - although they play, use and travel with those instruments as if they were their own).

The one exception are pianists, who, by practical consideration, are for the most part unable to always perform with their personal pianos (unless, say, all concerts took place in their living room/studio). It is neither ideal nor really pleasant (sometimes) to show up to a concert venue and play a keyboard which may simply not be suited to you or, worse still, not a good instrument. The mechanism of the piano is easily manipulated so that the keys may be weighted or lightened (affecting the "touch") and certain registers brightened. Soloists have definite preferences as to what works best for them, so of course, the optimal option is to always have your own instrument, which is adjusted to your liking...

...which Mr. Brendel does (and at considerable expense to the presenter!). And what an instrument! With a tone that is crystalline without any sense of brittleness, fluid and honeyed but with the greatest clarity, it is a lovely medium for Brendel's finely-honed musicianship. And it is clearly HIS instrument - you can tell by the way he rests his hands on it for several moments before beginning to play, the sureness with which he draws sound from the different registers. It is an intimate relationship that an artist has with their instrument; it is not enough that an instrument is beautiful or that a player is exquisite - there is an alchemy in the right combination that creates an extraordinary whole.

During tonight's concert I had fleeting thoughts of my childhood instrument - a Baldwin grand, a very serviceable, if unextraordinary, instrument - that, for many years, I faced for at least 3 hours a day. I knew that piano inside and out - the low F# that always spoke a split second late no matter how many times the technician tried to adjust it, the way the pedals engaged about half and inch depressed, the slight pingy-ness of the highest register. It was imperfect, but with a wonderful roundness of sound; it was the instrument that I lived and breathed music with for over 12 years, until I had to turn away from a life at the keyboard. But I still remember the comfort it gave me when I rested my hands on its keys, and the delight it gave me when I knew how to draw its best sound. In an odd way, that Baldwin grand was my first true love, and as they say, true love lasts a lifetime.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Well, that explains why I couldn't figure out which of our house pianos he was using! That is indeed one beautiful instrument Mr. Brendel has.

I have to say, there haven't been a lot of times in my career that I've found myself awed to be sharing a stage with a soloist, no matter how famous. But this week with Brendel has been an incredible experience that I'll remember for a lifetime. The integrity of his musicianship is something you can literally feel emanating from him in every rehearsal, and every performance. It was an honor to accompany him.

March 7, 2008 at 11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was the piano Herr Brendel played? A Boesendorfer? A Steinway? He shipped it all the way from London? My God.

Also, I'd hoped to listen to the concert on MPR last night since I was unable to attend it, but MPR broadcast the concert that opened the 06-07 season I think. Why wasn't last night's concert broadcast? I was terribly disappointed.... Thanks.

March 8, 2008 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

I don't know for certain why you didn't get the live broadcast last night, Cinda, but since Minnesota Public Radio's website indicates that the March 7 broadcast would be an archived performance, I'm assuming that technical difficulties were not to blame.

The most likely answer is that Mr. Brendel declined to allow a live broadcast to take place. This is a courtesy we extend to all our soloists, since we are, to my knowledge, the only American orchestra that still broadcasts live. (And by "live," I mean actually live in real time, rather than a live concert taped for later broadcast. The difference is that live-to-tape broadcasts are frequently amalgams of multiple performances of the same concert, with movements sometimes swapped out for a better performance on a different night.)

Without that editing capability, some soloists simply aren't comfortable with a true live broadcast, and we respect their wishes. It generally happens a few times each season. I do know that the concerts were taped by MPR, so it's possible that a live-to-tape version will show up on a future episode of SymphonyCast or Performance Today, both of which feature us regularly.

March 8, 2008 at 4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Sam, for the explanation. As soon as you mentioned the possibility of offering Herr Brendel the chance to decline the live broadcast, it made perfect sense to me. I'm glad to know it was recorded and may be broadcast at a later date. I will watch for it....

March 10, 2008 at 8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On the subject of live radio, I believe that your colleagues in Cleveland are on WCLV on Saturdays; and your colleagues in Boston are on WGBH Friday afternoons, WCRB Saturdays, and WAMC (Albany, NY) for certain Tanglewood summer evenings.

March 11, 2008 at 11:59 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

You're right about Tanglewood - I'd forgotten that some BSO concerts are truly live on air. This is only a summer thing for them, though.

And WCLV's web site does say that many of the Cleveland concerts it broadcasts are live, which is very surprising, since Cleveland's broadcasts used to be some of the most carefully edited in the business.

I stand corrected...

March 12, 2008 at 8:09 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

to answer cinda's question, it was a steinway, and apparently a new york, not a hamburg. shipped. at considerable expense!

March 12, 2008 at 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home