Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Cloudy Day Shuffle

We haven't done an iPod playlist in quite a while, and for some reason, gray, wintry days always put me in the mood to curl up with a book and some tunes, so I'll hit shuffle on my machine and throw out the first five songs that come up...

1. Floating - The Lowlands. "I'll be swaying in the wind just like a suspension bridge, so glad to be hangin' out with the sky." Lyrics don't come much sunnier than that, do they? This Philadelphia-based bluegrass band (I know that sounds odd, but Philly actually has a massive folk music scene) doesn't tour a lot anymore, but I love their sound, and their energy. One thing that always endears a musician of any genre to me is when s/he looks and sounds like s/he's having a blast on stage. It's something rock and folk musicians are great at, but a majority of classical musicians could do a lot better with.

2. Barfly Blues - Martin Zellar & the Hardways. And just like that, the sunshine is gone like a thief in the night, courtesy of Minnesota's own Martin Zellar. I wasn't around the Cities in the days when the Gear Daddies ruled the clubs, but Zellar's solo stuff is right up my alley. Dark and brooding with just a hint of optimism forever peeking through, he also personifies a kind of music that, growing up on the oh-so-hip East Coast, I had assumed was dead forever - good, honest, straight-ahead blue-collar rock 'n roll. As it turns out, all those bands just moved to Minneapolis, and judging from the recent national success of groups like The Hold Steady, the genre seems to be making a comeback. Good news for me...

3. Golden Slumbers - The Beatles. Ohhhhhhhh. God, I love this song. And this whole album. Has there ever been a better front-to-back effort than Abbey Road? The way the B-side is basically one continuous song, the hilariously inappropriate lyrics of Maxwell's Silver Hammer, the sweet opening hook of Here Comes the Sun, and that perfect little 20-second bonus cut at the end: "Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl / someday I'm gonna make her mine..." Whenever I hear from a fellow classical musician that he doesn't bother to listen to any other genres, because they just aren't interesting or intellectual enough, my first response is always to strap him down to whatever's available, and start up Abbey Road.

4. I'm Talking - Doomtree. Okay, I know from experience that whenever I start talking or writing about hip-hop to a classical music audience, I'm fighting a losing battle. Most of you are already rolling your eyes into next week. But on the heels of last week's FutureClassics concert, I am dead serious when I say that this Twin Cities-based hip-hop collective is doing things every bit as innovative as the composers on that bill. In fact, this particular track begins with a sample that I swear comes from a Pierre Boulez piece that I can't quite identify, before exploding into some of the most rhythmically original and well-conceived lyrical bursts you'll hear anywhere. "I came, I saw, I played Contra / You sang the song / we saved the saga turned opera / The world is off-beat / but the beat don't stop me / It goes on the backbeat / Born to the concrete / Watch me / keep walking."

5. Tenderness on the Block - Shawn Colvin. Just a sweet, sad, simple song to round out this playlist. Before she made it on MTV in the late '90s with Sunny Came Home, Colvin was a fixture on the folk circuit, covering everyone from John Prine to Sting, and penning some truly beautiful tunes of her own as well. I believe this song was originally by Warren Zevon. It's not particularly profound music, but it's guaranteed to put you in a better mood than you were in before it came on.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Tenderness on the Block" was written by Warren Zevon and Jackson Browne for Zevon's daughter (and Browne's goddaughter), Ariel.

November 10, 2008 at 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDDeNtlNTvg

some of the best hip hop I have heard

November 11, 2008 at 10:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh, I love shufflin, I just reloaded the iPod, this could get interesting...

1. Michael Franti & Spearhead – Say Hey (I Love You). This would turn any cloudy day sunny.

2. Emmylou Harris – Hold On, from All I Intended To Be. I hope she never goes away.

3. Alison Krauss & Union Station – We Hide & Seek, from Live Disc 2. It doesn't get any better than AK & US for me!

4. The Heavy – Colleen, from Great Vengeance and Furious Fire. I heard this on the Current a while back and have been hooked ever since.

5. Patty Griffin - Trapeze (Live), from Live from the Artist's Den. Another one of my all-time favorites (as is Shawn Colvin, nice one Sam).

The MN Orchestra was next, I promise, does that count? ;)

November 11, 2008 at 1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok, I have to confess, the Pussycat Dolls "When I Grow Up" also came up, but I just couldn't. Please don't tell anybody...

November 11, 2008 at 1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home