Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Going Out On Top

As many readers of the ItC blog have no doubt heard by now, the Minnesota Orchestra's concertmaster of 20 years, Jorja Fleezanis, announced at this morning's rehearsal that she will be leaving the orchestra next June, and devoting the remainder of her professional life to teaching at Indiana University's prestigious school of music.

As the saying goes, her announcement was a shock, but not a total surprise. While I hadn't heard so much as a rumor that she might be thinking about leaving us, I know that she's always been passionate about teaching, and I've heard her say in the past that at some point before she retired, she hoped to be able to devote herself to it full time. That she chooses this moment to bow out of her orchestral career on her own terms seems wholly in keeping with the individual she has always been.

Jorja is a legendary figure, both in Minnesota and the wider music world, one of the rare musicians who is as effortlessly eloquent with her words as she is with her instrument. And while she can sometimes look stern and icy from the audience, with her shock of white hair (with occasional black or even purple streaked through it) and her fierce concentration during performance, those of us lucky enough to know her always think first of her easy smile, her genuine warmth and generosity with every one of her colleagues, and her boundless enthusiasm for the job.

We've got nearly a whole year to say goodbye to her, and I'm sure the ovation she'll receive when she walks out to begin this week's season opening concerts will be topped only by the one she'll receive at the other end next June. And of course, I'll be sure to make some time to sit down with her for an exit interview to be posted here on the ItC site at some point during the year. But for now, feel free to use the comments section below to say anything you'd like about Jorja's remarkable 20-year tenure in Minnesota. I'll be sure to pass your thoughts and memories along...

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger nobleviola said...

I had the honor of meeting Jorja and her husband Michael when they visited Portland a few years back, and they were a total delight. I also got a once-in-a-lifetime chance to hear her perform the Adams Violin Concerto with the Eugene Symphony (it's not often that I'll drive 2 hours for a concert), and it was as authoritative as one would expect from the performer for whom the piece was written. She'll be missed in Minnesota, I'm sure, but I'm glad that she'll continue passing on her legacy at IU.

September 16, 2008 at 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(dating myself here) I graduated high school 20 years ago and a buddy and I thought it would be so cool to go see the new concertmaster with the cool name (my friend was from Holland, so it was especially cool for him to see Edo de Waart as well). We were just 18 and had only been to a handful of concerts before then, mostly on fields trips, but I distinctly remember thinking it was so cool to go there on our own, and thus my frequent MN Orch concerts began. It's kind of amazing to think I don't really know the orchestra without her. Will be strange next season, but the last 20 years have been an absolute joy! I couldn't be more happy for her. :)

September 16, 2008 at 9:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been looking forward to this day. I've always really liked Jorja. In the world of Concertmasters you don't get a bigger name than Jorja Fleezanis, and it's been really amazing having her here all these years.

She's an excellent musician and it's been reassuring to have such a sure hand at the wheel. More importantly, I love her sense of humor. I could listen to her talk about music all day. And she's a true maverick in my opinion. I've adored the way she goes after pieces that are somewhat off the beaten path. People like Jorja are very difficult to find indeed. I hope she enjoys her new position, but we will miss her.

September 16, 2008 at 11:12 PM  
Blogger Nicki said...

It's been a privilege for me to be in her audience these past few years. Her musicianship and eloquence are truly extraordinary. I will miss her presence here but wish her a bright future. How fortunate her students will be!

September 17, 2008 at 9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, no! This is huge! I will be so sorry to see Jorga leave the orchestra, the woman who conquered the Elgar Violin Concerto and held me transfixed through it. The times I've observed rehearsals I've been incredibly impressed with her total attention and concentration on making certain all the players are on the same page musically with the conductor and composer. I'll miss her distinctive style and her wonderful hair, too. I can imagine that she will leave a massive "pair of shoes" to fill.

But...I wish her much success and happiness at Indiana, and the fulfillment of her dream. The students there will be truly lucky to have her as a teacher.

September 17, 2008 at 3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were a Saturday's concert, the standing o she got was very touching, my wife got tears in her eyes!

Side note, Sam, do you recall what Sharon Isbin's encore was?

September 22, 2008 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Steve, I believe it was Recuerdos de la Alhambra by Francisco Tarrega. You can find it on Sharon's album, Dreams of a World, on the Teldec label...

September 22, 2008 at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home