Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Monday, June 2, 2008

Musicians Behaving Badly

In recent years, it's become an article of faith among those who run orchestras that audiences are terribly turned off by the way orchestra musicians conduct themselves onstage. In particular, orchestras who continue to face inward when brought to their feet by the conductor are a favorite target, with the idea being that it's disrespectful not to face the audience that's applauding you. (The Minnesota Orchestra has had an unofficial policy of turning out to face the audience since shortly after I joined in 2000, and Osmo has occasionally reminded us that when we do this, we should try to remember not to allow the exhaustion of the concert to show on our faces, because it tends to look from the audience like either boredom or unhappiness.)

Other common complaints include musicians who look bored during concerts (especially if they are wind players who only play a few bars in a particular piece,) members of the orchestra speaking to each other during bows, and musicians whose dress does not appear to be up to the formal standards of the business. (This last type of complaint is nearly always directed at female musicians, who have a considerably less restrictive dress code than the men - we wear white tie and tails in the evening, black suits for matinees, while their dress code basically just says, "Wear something black.")

Musicians can get fairly defensive about these sorts of complaints, and I'll attempt not to do that here. There are those who believe strongly that we're on stage to play music, and that the visual component is irrelevant, and therefore not the audience's business. This is, of course, a ludicrous and self-defeating argument, since we're supposedly engaged in a life-or-death struggle of trying to convince people that the live music experience is better than sitting at home with your CD collection. Of course there's a visual component, and of course the audience will be affected if we look as if we resent them, or are bored by what we're doing.

That having been said, I have occasionally been stunned by some of the complaints orchestras receive, and amused by how contradictory they are. I've seen letters from patrons complaining that a particular musician was moving too much while s/he played, and letters complaining that the orchestra ought to move more, so as to indicate interest. (That different musicians have different physical styles which are not easily changed never seems to occur to anyone. I tend to be a mover, largely because I have a small frame and short arms for the instrument I play, and therefore I have to adjust my arm angles more than someone with longer arms would. I also find it easiest to play exactly with my principal when I roughly mimic his breathing and movements.) I've heard complaints from the audience that musicians look too unhappy while performing, but also know of at least one circumstance where a specific member of the Minnesota Orchestra was sharply upbraided for having been smiling too broadly at some orchestral inside joke during a concert.

An old friend of mine who started her career as the acting concertmaster of a Deep South orchestra reported that her employer received regular complaints about what she wore to concerts. One letter would blast her for wearing heels that were too high and therefore provocative (she is a tall, willowy sort,) and the next week, another complainer would write in to ask whether it was too much to ask that the concertmaster not wear ugly flats to a formal concert. Her black nylons were derided as too sexy, but even a flash of bare leg would draw another complaint. Interestingly, no one ever seemed to complain about anything to do with her performance as a musician.

It's easy to dismiss a lot of complaints about our comportment as nitpicking by the type of people who read newspapers only so that they can look for supposed examples of left- or right-wing bias. An analogy you hear musicians go to frequently is that of athletes on the field of play, who are hardly expected to adjust their facial expressions to suit the crowd. (It's a flawed analogy, of course, since athletes are constantly assailed by press and public for supposed violations of protocol and appearance that have little to do with the game.) But the reality is that musicians are just as concerned as anyone about the way we appear before the public, and debates rage regularly on industry message boards concerning what visual standard we should hold ourselves to.

I've always sort of fallen back on the idea that we ought to concern ourselves primarily with being whole-heartedly engaged in what we're doing on stage, and with enjoying the music ourselves so that our energy will be infectious. But that's a bit of a dodge on my part, really, since I've also spent time on this blog describing the various shenanigans engaged in by our viola section, both in rehearsals and in concert. Is it disrespectful of the audience for a handful of string players to occasionally get a bit silly during a show? Does the answer change if the music itself is silly and fun? Do we have a responsibility to always treat the music we're playing as Great Art That Must Be Respected, or has our genre gotten over itself enough to allow for a variety of atmospheres in the concert hall?

Those weren't rhetorical questions. I think it's safe to say that most of the readers of this blog don't fall into the stereotypical category of Stuffy Classical Music Fan, so I'm genuinely interested in what you think an orchestra's comportment ought to be. Fire away in the comments, if you would...

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me... while not (quite) the type who is not happy unless complaining, I do tend to have a bit of a stick up... er, I can be a bit stodgy. I'm the type who frowns at overly boisterous children - and on the rare occasions I've been grumpy about such things in an orchestral setting, it's been behavior along those lines.

Now, if it's a silly piece, and a section dons false noses en masse, that's absolutely fine with me, and I'd love to laugh along. As long as the music doesn't suffer for the silliness.

The type of thing that irks me is the whisper, the nudge, the shared smirks during downtimes that make me think of nothing more than ill-mannered schoolchildren. Once I saw one musician poke another onstage while they weren't playing, then both stifled their laughter at whatever that was all about. Good grief. We expect kids to be silent and respectful while their classmates are reciting or performing; surely adults on a stage, who are being paid to be professionals, should be capable of saving their comments and giggles and flirtations until after class / after the concert.

Yours sincerely,
The Schoolmarm

June 2, 2008 at 3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My take on it is this: The female dress-code needs to be improved. Many of the players are wearing outfits that would not pass muster in a corporate environment. Most of the patrons who attend the concerts have professional positions which require us to dress up for 8 hour days, 5 days a week. We're only talking a few hours per show, a few times a week for the musicians. Some of the pants almost look like pajama bottoms. This is the Minnesota Orchestra with salaries of $90k +...it's completely unprofessional.

I couldn't care less about musicians turning to face the audience or not. In fact, to me a certain aloofness almost seems to heighten my expectations. Rather like a comedian laughing at his/her own jokes - not supposed to happen. I feel that acting as professional as can be puts the orchestra into another bracket altogether. I just don't picture the vaunted Vienna Philharmonic playing through a concert with members of the orchestra goofing off or laughing during the performance. For the most part, I haven't seen a lot of that happen here, well, except for one particular player with the initials P.M. I actually would prefer the orchestra play it safe and professional. Besides, you never really know who's in the audience at any given time, whether it be a New York critic or what have you. An ill-timed inside joke on the stage can actually serve as a distraction with negative consequences on what we're experiencing in our seats - even though it may not be having a direct impact on the sounds being produced.

June 2, 2008 at 9:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like it when I catch an inside-joke moment shared among musicians on the stage, because it shows that they are enjoying their work. Would you rather go to a restaurant where the staff appear surly or sullen toward one another, or where they're clearly enjoying their work? It's the same with music performances, in my opinion. As long as those moments don't take away from the quality of the music (missing an entrance = bad) or be visually distracting, I say grin away up there.

And as far as orchestral attire is concerned, I think musicians should dress like they care, but be comfortable. Nothing's worse than trying to play well in stifling, restricting, or otherwise uncomfortable clothing. Fetching attire is good, but a comfortable musician is better. I don't mind if a player on the stage errs on the side of comfort when picking their wardrobe for the evening, if it allows them the freedom to move and not sweat profusely - and ultimately, play better.

In any event, I can't believe someone would write a letter to complain about how someone in the orchestra is dressed. That befuddles me. There's got to be more to life.

June 2, 2008 at 9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend to agree with Emily Kroeck more than spartacus but both have good points. I sometimes see big inside joke moments on stage with gestures as well as giggles and it bothers me because it appears that the musicians are disrespecting their colleagues and the conductor by not paying attention. One guy in particular seemed to be goofing off a lot and I wondered if he was trying to undermine the conductor in some way or something. I suspect every audience member would have his/her own unique take on what they see on stage.

I've seen the Vienna Philharmonic in concert and never saw them have inside jokes discernible to the audience. They are considered the top orchestra in the world, and in that, I suppose they set the standard for professional orchestra musician behavior during a concert. If Osmo Vanska wants the Minnesota Orchestra to be the top orchestra, isn't the professionalism of the musicians' behavior onstage something to consider? Having written that, let me also say that I have never seen in-joke behavior onstage interfere with the performance of the music.

I love to see smiles and reactions to the audience when the orchestra takes its bows....

June 7, 2008 at 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't care less. I imagine musicians to be fun people who enjoy their work -- anything thing that shows me that wouldn't bother me. I guess acknowledging and smiling at the audience helps that image, though. Spartacus actually prefers aloofness? No, I don't think that is neccessary. However, I should probably mention that I'm of a younger generation...

As a clarinetist, it does bother me when I see woodwinds swabbing out their instruments during applause. Sheesh. Wait 5 minutes, it'll be okay.

April 30, 2009 at 2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home