Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Musical mac and cheese

Stumbling out of an Airbus 330 after an eight-hour red-eye flight from Honolulu to Minneapolis at 5:30 this morning, I was bleary-eyed, comatose and cranky. I'm not a good flier to begin with, but the overnight thing compounds problems because I can't sleep on planes, leaving me completely useless the day I arrive (although I did manage to get through a vocal/choral rehearsal this evening for the Broadway show tomorrow). Exiting the plane, I made my way to the ladies room in the terminal in a miserable mood.

For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of frequenting the facilities at MSP, let me say that I always look forward to hearing the music they play in them, which is invariably classical and runs the gamut from Haydn trumpet concertos to Debussy piano pieces. I find it a little odd that it's the only place in the terminal in which continuous classical music is played, but far be it for me to complain - and, besides, it kinda classes up the joint a bit, you know? So, this morning, at 5:40-ish a.m., the selection playing in the ladies room in the G terminal was Dvorak's String Serenade.

More specifically, it was the first movement of the String Serenade, which I find to be one of the more sublime creations on earth, and it's one of those pieces that invariably makes me smile. There's something about the melody that unknots the tension I carry between my shoulder blades, something that lets me breathe a bit easier. It's a piece which, for me, is tremendously comforting, and it did wonders in alleviating by crabby mood this morning.

I imagine we all have "comfort music", music we wrap ourselves with in times of stress or distress, music that we turn to time and again to calm us with its familiarity. For me, Chopin Marzurkas are the musical equivalent of comfort food; I'm almost always in the mood for them, they are somehow filling and deeply satisfying, and they're nice to curl up with on a cold night. When I'm having an existential crisis, the 2nd movement of Brahms's Third Symphony always seems to set me to rights. And for those days I'm feeling particularly gloomy and isolated, anything by Bach does the trick - I'm not quite sure how it works, but when I listen to Bach I no longer feel utterly alone in the world.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

For me, the slow movement of Dvorak's New World Symphony is all-purpose comfort food. That plaintive English horn solo, the murmuring strings, the way I associate it immediately with the Midwest - I know it's way overplayed, but I never get tired of it.

Other nominees: the finale of Brahms 1, the first movement of the Schubert cello quintet, the first movement of Sibelius 5, and Palestrina's Missa Benedicta es, which I once listened to every morning for almost a year.

July 22, 2008 at 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam, that's almost exactly what I was going to write! Slow movement of the New World Symphony, especially when I'm away from home as it reminds me of the midwest.

July 23, 2008 at 9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. - I'll refrain from any restroom/1812 Overture jokes. :)

July 23, 2008 at 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me, it's Beethoven piano sonatas and anything by Bach, especially the violin and keyboard concertos, solo cello suites, any keyboard Bach. If I want to get high, Dvorak's my guy! His music lifts me, makes me want to dance.

Years ago, I went through the experience of being stalked, and during it, I listened to the Brahms First Piano Concerto every day after work to celebrate the fact that I'd made it home without being attacked. The slow movement is like melted chocolate to me....

I agree 100% with Sarah about Dvorak's Serenade for Strings -- it is truly elegant and sublime.

July 26, 2008 at 4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of grownups think playing PC games hinders the students from learning. aion kinah

December 24, 2009 at 4:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"news" to try to connect the reader a sense of place to live, broader definition, intentionally transferred according to a new study released today by the American University in J - Lab: The Institute of interactive news. ReadI also like to play PC games. A lot of grownups think playing PC games hinders the students from learning. aion kinah
aion levelingBut I think PC games could motivate me to learn something such as English or Japanese.Aion Account
aion usMy favorite course is English because I think it is interesting to say one thing via different sounds. aion download
buy aion cdkeyI wish my English could be improved in the next four years and be able to speak fluent English in the future.

December 24, 2009 at 4:01 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 24, 2009 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 24, 2009 at 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home