Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Friday, October 3, 2008

Embracing What's Next

An e-mail dropped into my inbox this afternoon from one of our hardworking artistic staffers, Beth Cowart, detailing the schedule for this year's edition of the Minnesota Orchestra's Composer Institute. I blogged about the Institute last fall, shortly after we launched the Inside the Classics site, and every year, I'm amazed by how much work the composers we feature and our staff guiding them go through in a single week.

The public only sees one night of the institute - the final performance of all the featured works - but the composers are here for eight days or more, attending a dizzying array of seminars, Q & As, and training sessions on everything from how to write idiomatically for bassoon to how to deal with copyright and licensing issues. And somewhere in there, they get to hear their work rehearsed, picked over, and performed by a major orchestra.

Earlier this year, the American Composers Forum, which is based in St. Paul and has been a major partner in making the Institute what it is today, put together a video showing some of last year's highlights, as well as interviews with the composers, Osmo, and our concertmaster, Jorja Fleezanis, who is well known as a major advocate for new music. It's well worth a look...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sooooooo looking forward to attending the Composer Institute rehearsals again this year, although it may be the last year I'll be free for it. I also have my concert ticket.

In college I learned how exciting it can be to witness the beginning of a piece of music in performance. Sometimes it was a wonderful experience, sometimes I wanted to go home and wash out my ears. The Composer Institute has high energy and has been consistently interesting each time I've attended. I first attended as research for my novel, but now I go because I love hearing that music for the first time.

It is so rad to watch you guys in rehearsal, too!!

October 11, 2008 at 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home