Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Au revoir

To film composer Maurice Jarre. Jarre, a three-time Oscar winner, has scored films from The Man Who Would Be King to A Passage to India (and Ghost!); TV credits include Shogun and the theme for Great Performances on PBS. But perhaps he's best known for his collaboration with director David Lean, which yielded, in my opinion, two of the greatest film scores of all time, Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago.

Doctor Zhivago was something of a childhood fixture for me; it was my dad's favorite movie, and the first video purchased after we acquired a Betamax in the early 80's (remember those?) - I think I still have whole swatches of dialogue memorized. And the music? In a word, exquisite:





(As a personal aside, sorry for the prolonged absence from blogging. I'm slowly recovering from wrist and shoulder problems, and typing is still pretty uncomfortable - although I was getting pretty good at the one-handed thing!)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must have missed it -- has Maurice Jarre died?

"Lawrence of Arabia" is my all-time favorite movie. I've thought the soundtrack works in an operatic way, underpinning some scenes with emotion and moving the story forward.

Glad to hear you're recovering! Take care...Cinda

April 1, 2009 at 4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home