Minnesota Orchestra

Previous Posts

Archives

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]

Blog Policies

Sarah Hicks and Sam Bergman

Monday, March 30, 2009

Ask A Concertmaster

Our concerts this week are being billed as "A Fleezanis Farewell," not because our esteemed concertmaster is leaving us just yet, but because this will be the last week that she solos with us before her move to Indiana this summer. (Of course, she could well return as a guest soloist in the future, but you know what I mean.) I've been looking forward to this week, not only because our audiences are always big and enthusiastic when Jorja solos, but because conductor Gilbert Varga is one of my all-time favorite batons to work under.

I'm assuming Jorja will be hugely busy this week, but it seemed an opportune time for me to begin thinking about sitting down with her for the exit interview I promised way back when she announced her retirement. My hope is to talk with her sometime in the next week or two, after which I'll have audio as well as written excerpts up on the blog as soon as I can. And I already know a lot of what I want to ask her, but I'm interested to hear what you all want to know about our remarkable leader for the last 20 years. So if you would, please post any questions you'd like me to ask Jorja in the comments, and I'll try to work as many as I can into the conversation...

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sam, thanks for interviewing Jorja.

I'm curious to know if she has a favorite hilarious story involving a conductor here at MN Orchestra? Maybe during rehearsal or concert?

And I'm also curious to know if she'll miss the Composer Institute experience when she's in Bloomington?

Thanks! Cinda

April 1, 2009 at 4:27 PM  
Anonymous Steve said...

I would love to know a bunch of things: did she have dreams of specifically becoming a concertmaster; is she keeping the violin; has she ever reflected back on her place in MN Orch history; has she ever thought about writing a book; when did she know she wanted to move on, was the 20 year mark always the plan; who influenced her the most while she was here; what advice does she have for the next concertmaster; does she feel she's helped shape the orchestra into the world-class group that is is; the list could go on and on.

And my wife, ever the goofball, wants to know if she's ever tried to the play the cello like a violin. :)

April 2, 2009 at 9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home